SEARCH this blog

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Vacation Vacation Vacation

We have been gone off and on for the entire month of July.  It has been fun, but oh-so-busy!
I have finally figured out why the whole "Michigan Up North" thing is a thing.  To be honest, I didn't get it when I went to Lake Michigan.  It was cold.  There were a ton of rocks.  I had just moved from Virginia Beach/Norfolk, so "the beach" there was much better.

But a week later, we met up with Paul's brother and went to Houghton Lake in the middle of Michigan at a cabin.  It was gorgeous.  The water was lovely, and we slept in a room on the second with a deck overlooking the lake.  (We left the sliding door open all night and fell asleep to the sound of waves!)  And no sharks to watch out for.   We didn't have time for a bonfire, but I could envision it.  The evening was cool and relaxing, and the sunset was gorgeous.

A week later, we headed up to Mackinac Island.  Again, it was so nice to be near the water, and though I am usually not into history, I loved learning about the past having to do with this place.  I started reading a Teen Fiction book set in the area and back around the war of 1812, and I couldn't put it down.  (There are three books in the series and #2 is set in London!)

Now we are home.  And I cancelled all events.  No camps, no playdates, nothing scheduled.  

The kids and I really needed it, and we are enjoying our last bit of freedom before the school year starts.  Today we went on a long walk, going where the wind took us.  (That turned out to be a convenience store for treats, and then on to their school to check out the new playground equipment, stopping by a neighbors on the way home.)  We collected acorns for a project and picked up sticks along the way, like an old school summer.  By evening here in Mid-Michigan, the winds have turned cool, and we can feel fall right around the corner.  I even had to pull out my very cozy, pink fuzzy bathrobe, which I thought I wouldn't need for at least another month.  Enjoy the end of summer, folks.



1 comment:

Custom Sofas said...

Interesting article!