Monday, January 14, 2013
Project 13: Ruffle Apron
Here is the general idea--
1. I traced the pattern for the skirt, and then the top piece, on newspaper, and cut the pieces out of fabric.
2. I added ruffle and pocket.
3. I hemmed everything.
4. I sewed it all together, trying to make it look as finished as possible. (This involves sewing right sides together, most times, and opening up/flipping inside out to get a nice sewn edge.)
5. Watch LOTS of Youtube tutorials and pick the stuff that works for you best.
But I will give your specific instructions on the zipper pocket, because it was so easy!
2. Place the other side (unsewn side) of zipper face down, on apron fabric. Sew zipper in. Fold over so that pocket looks like a pocket.
3. Make sure you have folded the other 3 edges in about 1/4-1/2 inch, so the raw edges don't show. Top stitch all the way around, making sure to sew over the little zipper end tails up at the beginning and end of zipper.
(I hate written word instructions... so sorry! I prefer seeing it, rather than hearing about how to do it. This is where youtube comes in handy.)
RUFFLE: The best tutorial was from DIY Dish--the twin sisters who make the videos are soo adorable and easy to understand.